- This event has passed.
Volunteer Day CANCELLED
January 29 @ 10:00 - 14:00
*** Update 09:20 29th January — Due to the current high winds, unfortunately this event has been CANCELLED ***
This Saturday, 29th January is one of our planned volunteer days and there is a busy list of jobs for all abilities. It is a great opportunity to meet and have a chat with fellow volunteers including trustees. You may also wish to bring some sustenance and something to drink. There will be the opportunity to cook your own sausages / burgers / marshmallows / etc. on one of the fires – bring a long fork. Tea and coffee will be provided (at least for part of the day)
Please dress in old clothes, and sturdy footwear – it could be a bit muddy in places. Work gloves are recommended. At this time of year a bit of rain is to be expected.
We look forward to seeing you Saturday if you can make it along. Even if it’s just for a chat.
All the activities are well away from the larch felling.
The planned activities include:
Walled Garden – Building on the great success of the walled garden volunteer day on 15th January
– Collecting loose bricks for reuse / setting out growing beds and polytunnel location / clearing vegetation and brash / trimming hedges.
– Opportunity to drink tea and talk about future plans
– Work is ongoing to clear the area around the pond of invasive rhododendron. A lot has already been cut and the brash (leaves and stems) are to be burnt in two or three fires.
– Larger branches to be cut to create wildlife habitat.
– There will also be the opportunity to cut down rhododendron if that’s your thing. If you are interested in cutting down rhododendron, we have some spare loppers and wood saws, but possibly not enough to go around. If you have your own please bring them along.
Set Up Squirrel Feed Boxes
We are hoping that a family will volunteer to help set up a box. We are therefore looking for 8 families. The nursery will set up 2 boxes.
Each volunteer family will be asked to fill the box once a week and let us know how much food has been used. They would need to clean the box with disinfectant at the same time. The boxes, all food and disinfectant will be provided by the trust.
It will be for between 4 and 6 weeks, until the squirrels have settled after the felling.
If you are interested in this exciting volunteer project please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance and put “squirrel” in the title.
Log Splitting for Firewood
There will be an opportunity to hone your axe skills. Logs are to be split for firewood.
You can take a bag of logs home ….. and split enough logs…!! (bring a bag)